Friday, February 19, 2010

Feed 02.19

I really enjoyed Feed. I thought the book was very interesting and brought up some good ideas. Although having a Feed placed in your head doesn't seem like the greatest idea in the world, I personally think it has it's advantages. I think that having all of these things at your fingertips is kind of neat. I would love to be able to check out sales happening at my favorite stores right as it was happening. I think that being able to chat with other people without really talking out loud is kinda cool too. The up side to this is that when you are talking to them no one else would really know. I mean you could text them but then again all the other people in the room would know that you are texting back and forth. So that's another reason having the Feed is a good thing. It is also interesting how the Feed is able to adapt to each individual. It's pretty advanced technology. Even though I think this is a really good thing to have, I don't think I would want to have one implanted in my head. I don't know if I could handle it.

1 comment:

  1. "I think that being able to chat with other people without really talking out loud is kinda cool too."

    Brit, i understand what your saying. It would be cool to be able to do this but in a way we sort of already do this. Im talking about text messaging. We indirectly talk to people via text and in a way hide behind a technology barrier. If you have ever been to confession when you talk to the priest you can either talk directly or you can be hidden behind a sliding door. To me texting our talking through a feed chip is like hiding behind a wooden door. It is very hard to detect sarcasm in a text message. Texting one another looses that face to face being. We used to always talk to one another face to face but now as time progresses we are straying from this. Maybe people should stop texting and begin to talk more face to face. What i am getting at is sometimes when i text somebody that i am just meeting something sarcastic it is hard for them detect. If i were to say it face to face im pretty sure that would get a laugh out of what i was saying and ultimately understand what i am talking about. But sometimes over a text message the person i am talking to has no idea that i am being sarcastic thus thinks that i am just weird. Anyway yea a feed chip would be cool but it starts to stray us outside of the realm of "true" intelligence.

    ReplyDelete